News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: Internet Explorer 7  (Read 12062 times)

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
Internet Explorer 7
« on: October 22, 2006, 11:34:00 AM »
Microsoft has released Internet Explorer7 last week, with a whole bunch of new features mainly focusing on security and "internet safety".  Currently it's available from the Microsoft site as a download, but as of November 1st (or there abouts) it will be added to the critical updates that most windows xp systems download and install on your computer (if you have the updates set to automatically download).

If you don't want the download to happen automatically, you have a couple of options.  For the technically savy, you can download a "installation blocking kit" from microsoft that will remove it from the critical install, or you can set your update option to "download the updates, but let me choose when to install them".  Then when you get the little yellow shield down in the system tray (beside the time) you can click to say install now, but chose the CUSTOM method, and deselect the IE7 update.  If you chose EXPRESS then it will install it for you automagically.

I have been evaluating this new release for the past week so that I can offer my clients advise on whether or not to install it, I'll share my observations here:

First thoughts, I'm quite liking it.  The tabs are a welcome addition, as during the day I'll have a dozen (sometimes more) windows open so to have them in tabs is very welcome.  The new security features look for suspicious aspects of the website your going to, such as phishing attempts, non matching certificates, etc.  

They have decluttered the top menu bar, so it gives more "screen real estate" to the actual webpage that you're looking at.  

It seems to be a bit faster at loadup than version6 is, and you can define mulitple home pages.  Not sure about that feature yet, but it's there if you want to use it.

Favourites (bookmarks) come up in it's own window, and disappears quite easily as well.

I've tested Citrix, MS web based apps (CRM if you're interested), DB driven websites, TD Bank, PCFinancial, Royal Bank, and various other "specialized" sites that might have a problem with it, so far there has been no compatibility issues that I've noticed.
 Of course, the 7days website comes up clean    :D

the only "glitch" that I've noticed so far, is that some pages that are coded to open in a new browser will actually open in a NEW browser, as opposed to a new TAB, including 7days.  It may be a setting with in IE, or it may require some minor updates to the code on the site.  I'll look into that a bit further.  

If you're going to do the update, make sure you run all of the critical updates to your system first, otherwise the install program will do that, and it adds considerable time to the install. (they should all be done already, right?     ;)  )

Make a copy of your favourties (bookmarks) folder, just in case.  you can find them at c:\documents and settings\{your user name}\favourites  (where {your user name} is the name that you logon to your computer with.

Simplest way to do that would be to create a folder on C:\ called TEMP or BACKUP and then go to the area listed above, do a right click and copy on the favourites folder, then navigate to the C:\TEMP folder and do a paste into it.  I've yet to hear of it trashing that folder, but better to be safe than sorry.  

The install will require a reboot so make sure you do this install with everything closed, especially the current Internet Explorer program, otherwise it will nag you incessently to close it so that it can update the files.

if you have any other questions, post them here.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

bellagio

Re: Internet Explorer 7
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. John.

I'll be in Cuba on November 1st so when I return I'll see what people think of it before I install it.

I have 'Automatic Updates' turned off.

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm tired of Updates and new versions....I wish they where not so close together   ;)

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 08:05:00 PM »
it gets even worse when a company makes a product to work with the existing version of IE, now this new one will potentially blow their software out of the water.    :D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline PastorAsh

• Max Member
  • God is love, get it?
    • My church
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »
I tried IE7 a while back as a beta and didn't like it, though can't remember why. Went back to 6, but now I'm using 7 again and it seems fine, will likely just keep using it.
Playa Pesquero, Holguin, 2004
Grand Palladium Colonial, Maya Riviera, 2013

bellagio

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »
I upgraded to IE 7 on my return from Cuba.  

I really can't see that it is so much of an improvement on IE 6.

It's OK but nothing to get excited about.

millybess

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »
Sorry, just caught up to this post -- apparently because I'm not using  FIREFOX 2.0!   :D

bellagio

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
I'm with you there Millybess.

I thought it was a Clint Eastwood movie!!!! lol

millybess

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by bellagio:
  I'm with you there Millybess.

I thought it was a Clint Eastwood movie!!!! lol
:rof:

(Maybe we're both too slow!.)  :rof:

bellagio

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
At 2.00am in the morning I sure am!!!

Offline Steve_YYZ

• Locker Talker
  • Viva el Viajero Independiente ! ! !
    • Viva Cuba!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »
Well I just put in IE7 on the weekend and it seems ok to me. The plug-ins that I do use in IE, namely IM Translator seems to work just fine. I really do appreciate the zoom factor down in the bottom right corner, especially for those sites with small text. (another excuse for old eyes)   :D  

I did have some issues with ClearType which is supposed to make your on-screen fonts look better on LCD displays (vs CRT) but as my Toshiba laptop has it's own screen utilities, I found that the ClearType actually made things worse. So I ended up turning that feature off. But by the time all that was sorted out, I also ended up changing my screen fonts anyway. Nice and readable now.

Think I'll keep it and not go back to IE6.

Steve

Offline Gambitt

• High-Tech Redneck!
    • Gambitt Homepage
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »
Another problem that I won't have to deal with...

IE7 ( along with it's viruses, trojans and hacks) will not run on ME.
If at first, you do not succeed; You Obviously did Not use a BIG enough Hammer!!!
If at first, you Do Succeed.. try not to look tooo Astonished!

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
Well I just started using it this morning and I like it so far...

:)

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
Well I just started using it this morning and I like it so far...

:)

Offline Milli

• Max Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »
I started using IE7 a week or so ago and so far so good.  Mind you, I cannot find the History button   ;)   but so far that is my only problem. As far as Firefox goes, my son put it on our last computer as that is what he uses but IE6 came installed on this computer and so I had better stick with Explorer........the Computer Whiz that I am  ;)
Melia Las Americas  '05,'12,'12
Iberostar Varadero '06
Paradisius Rio de Oro '06
Sandals Royal Hicacos '07
Playa Pesquero '07 '11
R. Hideaway Ensenachos'08
GBP Ambar '08 '09
GBP El Portillo '10 
GBP Cayo Leventado'10