News:

• May 18, 2024, 09:41:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: Travelling with children  (Read 3862 times)

Offline cubanitalinda

Travelling with children
« on: May 17, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »
Depending upon how you look at it, I am either brave enough or stupid enough to be travelling with two small children in the near future.  I am bringing my 7 year old and 3 year old (both boys) to Havana in a couple of weeks.  Any tips from anyone who has done this before?  I have never travelled on a plane with them. My anxieties lie not only with the actual flight, but also about safety, etc. once we reach our destination.  ie. Am I being paranoid in bringing their life jackets?  (they're not very strong swimmers!!)
 Our flight leaves Toronto at 8 pm, so I think they may sleep on the plane, however, when we arrive in Havana at 1 am, then the fun begins.  Any advice?  BTW...I forgot to mention...I'm travelling alone with them...I'm outnumbered!!!

Offline Gambitt

• High-Tech Redneck!
    • Gambitt Homepage
Re: Travelling with children
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
Hey Linda

We took our son to Cuba twice already, and he's just turned 4.  (Of course, we had him outnumbered, both times   ;)  

The lifejackets are perfectly reasonable.  Saw lots of kids wearing them, both at the beach, and in the pool.  I suggest, when you get to the airport, going to the departure lounge as soon as possible.  The concourse is boring for kids, but from the DL, they can watch the planes being loaded and unloaded, and moving around.

For the flight, hard candies are a must ie lifesavers..  sucking on candies will help them with their ears.  (Bring lots, if your kids are like mine)

Hopefully, you'll get at least one window seat, for the flight, but I know many passengers will let a child join them, if they don't.  This year we had a late flight coming back, and Logan had no trouble sleeping most of the way home on the plane.

Those little handheld games, that kids get in a Happy Meal, are perfect for a trip... small enough, yet provide losts of entertainment.

More to come as I think of it.

Cheers

Gambitt
If at first, you do not succeed; You Obviously did Not use a BIG enough Hammer!!!
If at first, you Do Succeed.. try not to look tooo Astonished!

Offline CriCri

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »
I travelled to Cuba with my 2 yr. old and 5 yr. old recently.  

Definitely bring the life jackets, especially if you are alone with them!

The plane ride was not so bad.  I admit that I cheated and bought them lots of candy to keep them occupied...and it worked.  Hey, I justified it by saying that it's only twice (trip there and trip back).

The airline attendants were actually quite helpful.  We flew Air Transat and they distributed fun toys on the way there and back.  
 I also packed our carry on packs with small dollar store surprises and doled them out whenever I felt that things were going downhill.

My youngest did sleep a good two hours on the plane, which was great.

Even though you'll arrive at the airport very late, the kids will probably be so excited that things will go fairly smoothly.

Offline rayd8me

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »
Hey Linda:

I know of this incredible good looking lady that would help you with your children on the flight there. She is exceptional with kids, would help you to/from the plane, help you relax by watching your kids and getting through customs. She wouldn't even take pics of all the eye candy at the airport.  
 All for a price of dropping her off at Jaimanita Beach!!!
 Any takers??  ;)
reezes Jibacoa & Havana - November 2005
 Breezes Jibacoa - Jan 2005
 Iberostar Daiquiri - Oct 2004
 Tryp Cayo Coco - Nov 1997

Offline Bigjohn

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
Does she come complete with her own lifejacket?
 Bigjohn.
I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »
No but she has her own Floatation device   :D

Offline Judie

• http://N/A
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
We took our children with us this year, our youngest gets slightly car sick when travelling long distances, I never took this into account for the plane ride and she got really sick about 3 hours into the flight and vomited and felt really aweful. After a nights rest at the resort she felt much better. For the way home, we gave her gravol an hour before the flight and as we got on the flight we gave her a bit more. Needless to say she slept really well the whole flight home and the 3 hour car ride afterwards (She is 7).Our return flight was in the middle of the night. Yuck.So that is one thing to keep in mind.

Offline cubanitalinda

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for all of your advice.

Linda
   :D