News:
*
  • April 03, 2025, 11:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ontario looks to strengthen travel protection  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Bulldog

  • Member Emeritus
  • Senior Member
  • *******
  • Posts: 28824
Ontario looks to strengthen travel protection
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »
Ontario has released its report assessing the Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO) and its ability to regulate the province’s travel industry. That report is the result of a review of TICO that was ordered by the provincial government following the closing of Conquest Vacations earlier this year.
While the report, entitled “Assessment of Consumer Protection Against Financial Instability in the Travel Industry,” says that while “Ontario’s regulation of the travel industry is equal to, or better than, other Canadian jurisdictions… there are opportunities to strengthen consumer protection.”
And it offers eight recommendations for immediate and short-term implementation, some of those recommendations include requiring as a condition of registration, tour operators and travel agents to give notice to TICO of intention to cease operations; reviewing trip completion compensation for stranded passengers to ensure it is effective, fair and allows consumers to recover costs should a business close in the middle of a trip; and enhancement of TICO’s web site to give consumers more information about compensation options when travel businesses close.
The government says it intends to implement key components of the recommendations by December.






There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?