News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:50:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cruising question, what do you do for seasickness?  (Read 5226 times)

Offline phlatlanders

• Max Member
  • ĄSoy jubliado!
cruising question, what do you do for seasickness?
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:42:06 PM »
I plan to drink dark rum!  :drink:
The missus is concerned and is wondering if the  bracelets, thingies behind the ear, or gravol work. Any experiences and recommendations?  Thnx in advance. 
We hope to do more rivercruising - relax and see the sights.

Click to view our 2012 Danube Rivercruise - Budapest to Prague.

Offline Pacific State 808

Re: cruising question, what do you do for seasickness?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:03:16 AM »
I would recommend Gravol. I spend 10 days at a time on a dive boat 24/7, not the biggest of boats so you can feel the motion in the slightest of swells,  but Gravol works really well for me.....takes away the feeling of wanting to throw up !

Offline FredTracie

• Max Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:20 AM »
Try to get non drowsy Bonnimine (sp) I know it is available over the counter in the states and available on board your cruise ship. We took 1 in the morning and 1 at night and never had a problem and I am very susceptable to sea sickness, can't even watch a 3-D film, or when diving, just had to get in the water ASAP, then all was OK until the ride back! :tard:

Fred
lub Amigo Guardalavaca 1998,2003.Breezes Jibacoa 1999,2000.Brisas del Caribe 2001.El Senador Cayo Coco 2002, Breezes Puerto Plata 2003. Las Brisas Guardalavaca 2004. Palma Real Varadero 2004. Melia Cayo Santa Maria 2005.Bahia Principe Puerto Plata Nov.05.

Offline Gambitt

• High-Tech Redneck!
    • Gambitt Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »
My Favourite TV Show "MythBusters" did an entire episode on seasickness.

They found that that wristbands were totally useless.  The only thing they found that worked (non-pharmaceutical) was Ginger pills, available at health food shops.

Seasickness can be cured by taking a ginger pill.

confirmed

Both Adam and Grant made it through their spin-chair sessions without feeling ill.

Seasickness can be cured by using magnetized arm bands.

busted

The arm bands had no effect on Adam or Grant. Some celebrities like Barry Manilow claim they work; they nonetheless do not operate on any valid scientific principles.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43

If you've ever seen the show, you'll know how easily Adam gets sick on boats; so there must be something to it?  :ROFL: :ROFL:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:57:07 AM by Gambitt »
If at first, you do not succeed; You Obviously did Not use a BIG enough Hammer!!!
If at first, you Do Succeed.. try not to look tooo Astonished!

Offline phlatlanders

• Max Member
  • ĄSoy jubliado!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
All good stuff - thanks.  :icon_thumright: I think the missus will be getting over-the-counter "Bonine" and ginger pills.

Ginger is good stuff, especially in stir fries!  :thumbsup:
We hope to do more rivercruising - relax and see the sights.

Click to view our 2012 Danube Rivercruise - Budapest to Prague.

Offline FredTracie

• Max Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »

"Ginger is good stuff, especially in stir fries"!  :thumbsup:

Phlatlanders you are absolutely correct but remember to take the Bonnie so the missus will enjoy the stir fry only in one direction...going down!  :grin:
lub Amigo Guardalavaca 1998,2003.Breezes Jibacoa 1999,2000.Brisas del Caribe 2001.El Senador Cayo Coco 2002, Breezes Puerto Plata 2003. Las Brisas Guardalavaca 2004. Palma Real Varadero 2004. Melia Cayo Santa Maria 2005.Bahia Principe Puerto Plata Nov.05.