News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:46:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Air Canada attendants vote 98 per cent for strike  (Read 14650 times)

Offline flopnfly

• Administrator
    • Facebook
Air Canada attendants vote 98 per cent for strike
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »
Air Canada attendants vote 98 per cent for strike

MONTREAL — Air Canada could face its second work stoppage this year after flight attendants overwhelmingly endorsed a strike that could begin as early as next week.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees said Tuesday that after a 10-day vote, employees voted 98 per cent to back a strike.

Unless a last-minute deal is reached, 6,800 flight attendants could walk off the job next Wednesday, Sept. 21.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110913/110913_air_canada/20110913/?hub=CP24Home

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Pacific State 808

Re: Air Canada attendants vote 98 per cent for strike
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:00:41 AM »
Air Canada will end up like British Airways, passengers here would rather not fly BA because they have a terrible reputation for striking.....who wants the stress of wondering will they or wont they be on strike when I should be flying away on my vacation....not me !

Makes me wonder what planet some people are on striking from jobs in such dire economic times.....

Offline kharmar77

• Locker Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »
we were in strike position in May... but knew it would not  benefit us, and actually the company was very much on the same page with this.  we did not lose anything in our contract..and signed a four yr contract..
Working for a huge corporation, though, I know it must have some validity in complaints to get to this point. Probably the front line workers are sick of getting all the flak from the cutbacks.. Let the corporation ppl work a day in our shoes. 80 plus hours a week!
But you are very right, it does not look good for the corporation to get to this point.
imho
Karen

Offline Gambitt

• High-Tech Redneck!
    • Gambitt Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:36:11 PM »
Speaking purely from a Union perspective, and based on the company that I work for..

Sometimes the workers have to teach Management that they are all virtually worthless!  Yup, that's what I said.  "Worthless".

I work in a wire factory.  If that factory does not make wire, then they can have all the engineers, managers and accountants they want;
 but if there is no Production to sell, then those people are just as much out of a job, as the line-workers that they like to cut.

Could we make Production without them?  Sure we could.  We could still make wire and sell it.   But it would not be as profitable fort the shareholders, so they keep management around.

Management is an "added cost" that increases the profit margin, but you cannot have the "add-ons" without the basic product..

SO there has to be a balance, between workers and management.  

If at first, you do not succeed; You Obviously did Not use a BIG enough Hammer!!!
If at first, you Do Succeed.. try not to look tooo Astonished!