News:

• April 20, 2024, 05:32:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dive computer  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Tuss

• Max Member
dive computer
« on: January 13, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
Leaving in 3 weeks for Hawaii.  I'm going to a conference but hoping to get a few dives in.  Since I got my Nitrox certification I wanted to get a dive computer.  There are no dive shops around here that sell them so I'll have to but online. Anyone have any recommendations?  I dont' want to spend that much.  I have a really small wrist, so the smaller the better.  It has to be able to record the gas mix for nitrox diving.  Any brands/models/etc. that anyone can recommend?

thanks

Offline Kiknads

Re: dive computer
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:51:40 PM »
I've got a wisdom 2 by sherwood, its not a wrist mount.  Its easy to read and air integrated

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:58:11 PM »
I use a cobra 2 by Suunto, air integrated, it does nitrox, comes with some cool features.    if you're not looking for air integrated, you can Suunto also has some wrist computers that are not much bigger than a large watch.

Uwatec is another good brand, one of the first on the market.  Mares has some nice ones.

my suggestion would be if you can get to a dive shop, have a look at the displays and see if they are easy to read, or cluttered.  if you're eyes are as bad as mine, then big numbers would be helpful.   :grin: 

http://www.dive-computer-wizard.com/ seems to be a half descent site for reviews and options.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Pacific State 808

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 03:08:48 AM »
Hawaii, wonderful diving !!

To add to the other great suggestions, might be worth looking into Mares new 'puck' range of dive computers, small and easy to use, really good cost, under $200 on Amazon.

Features:

RGBM (Reduced Gradient Bubble Model)-algorithm
Full Function Air/Nitrox Dive Computer
Precautionary Program Settings
Nitrox Programmable (21-50%)
Ascent rate indicator
Diver-replaceable batteries
Fresh and salt water
Powerful backlight
Air/Nitrox/Bottom timer modes
Nitrogen bar graph
Audible alarms
Temperature Display
Automatic Altitude Adjustable
DEPTH: 492 feet
Computer user changeable Imperial/Metric
Dive Log: 38 hours/50 dives

http://www.mares.com/news.php?id=769&region=eu

Offline Tuss

• Max Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:29:42 AM »
I don't have my own reg and bcd, so i'd need a wrist style computer that isn't integrated.  Amazon.com won't ship to canada unfortunately and their canadian site is horrible.  I'll check out that review site JC.  thanks.

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:07:16 AM »
you can try Leisurepro.com, they will ship to canada, but you'll get dinged for customs fees.  some of the dive shops do have online shopping and will ship across canada.  or you can try Ebay as well, you may find something there.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Tuss

• Max Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
Bought one on ebay, from a store in Ontario.  Made an offer $100 less than the "buy it now" price and he countered a bit higher and we settled on a price $25 more than my offered price.  It is a Suuato Vyper Silver.  Reviews look reasonable.  The instruction manual will give me something to read on the plane!

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
I've heard and read good things about the vyper.  the manuals good, but try to get into a pool with it for the first time so that you can get used to looking at it, what all of the displays are all about. 

Offline Pacific State 808

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:36:49 AM »
Suunto are great, I used a Suunto Stinger for 8 years and had no problems at all with it...........enjoy Hawaii  :grin:

Offline Tuss

• Max Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 05:29:56 AM »
thanks,  I'm going for work, but I have a couple days extra and hope to get a couple dives in.  The diving is really expensive there, so won't be doing a lot.