News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:31:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: Sky Services  (Read 48828 times)

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
Re: Sky Services
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »
Well said sunlvr..

:D  

Bulldog

Offline flopnfly

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 11:12:00 PM »
Sunluvr, I agree 100%.  I just finished saying the exact same thing.

As passengers we depend on the trained professionals to guide us in an emergency.  That's their job and their obligation.  Otherwise they are nothing more than glorified waiters and waitresses.

I think that they should have spoken up and tried to calm and reassure everybody, even if they didn't know what had happened.  

It's the least that they could have done in this circumstance.

Heather
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Wolf

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by flopnfly:
    Otherwise they are nothing more than glorified waiters and waitresses.
Good points. I guess that's just what I assume they were .. glorified waiters and waitresses. Depending on the emergency training, then I agree they could have done more. I wonder if it's simply because it was right at landing, and not mid way through the flight?

Regardless, putting myself in their shoes obviously doesn't work without understanding their training!   :confused:   Either way, choosing to ignore is never acceptable.

Offline Steve_YYZ

• Locker Talker
  • Viva el Viajero Independiente ! ! !
    • Viva Cuba!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »
Well folks, please don't shoot the messenger for saying this.

While inflight and onboard safety is to an extent the responsibility of the flight and cabin crew, YOU also have a personal responsibility to take care of yourself.

How many of you actually LISTEN to the safety talk before the flight begins?
 How many of you actually KNOW where the closest emergency exit is, especially as your seating position might be different than your last flight, or it might be a different type/model of the aircraft?
 How many of you actually KNOW how to open an emergency exit should the need arise?
 How many of you actually READ the seatback emergency card and familiarize yourself with the features of your aircraft?
 How many of you actually KNOW where you lifevest is located?
 Do you know HOW to use the oxygen mask or life vest if required?

All of these items are things that are YOUR responsibility to know. If the worst had of happened and the plane split open on the runway, do you realize that there is a prescious 90 second survival window (on average) that are the golden seconds to survival if you know what to do. If you're not off the plane within 90 seconds of the wreckage stopping moving, odds are that you won't make it.

I'm not trying to scare anybody. Thankfully the need to use this knowledge is very, very, very rare in commercial aviation. Next time you fly, take a second to remember this incident and pay attention to the safety briefing. The life it saves might just be your own.

Steve

Offline bmnichol

• Max Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 07:15:00 AM »
I DO, to all the above. And the seat cushion on WestJet planes float! Maybe they do on other planes too.
35th Anniversary and Birthdays trip - Oct 27-Nov 3. Grand Sirenis, Akumal MX

Offline Milli

• Max Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 07:56:00 AM »
:t:  I agree with all that has been said and if Skyservice is smart they will be doing a whole lot of Quality control after this incident and hopefully will make up to it's customers in some way for the lack of responsiveness at the site.  That being said, I feel what Wolf said about attendants is probably true.  Yes, they are professionals but I would have to ask, how much training are they actually getting these past years? From what I experienced on our flight and what others have told me the emphasis seems to be on a bubbly, entertaining, hospitable employee who can help you relax and enjoy your flight.  I would be interested to know how much first aid, disaster type training they get as well as training for other in-air situations.  I am not faulting the crew but something was obviously missing in this incident!  I hope this is not an area of financial trimming  in the air industry.
Melia Las Americas  '05,'12,'12
Iberostar Varadero '06
Paradisius Rio de Oro '06
Sandals Royal Hicacos '07
Playa Pesquero '07 '11
R. Hideaway Ensenachos'08
GBP Ambar '08 '09
GBP El Portillo '10 
GBP Cayo Leventado'10

Offline sunluvr

• http://community.webshots.com/user/sunluvr101
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 09:14:00 AM »
For the record, Steve, I do pay careful attention to all of the security measures each and every time I fly.  I have the emerg. exit scoped out loooong before it's announced...chalk it up to anal retentiveness!  I agree with you that we all have responisbilities to do our part in the safety, but I'm still no less disturbed by the lack of action taken by the staff on the aircraft.
y name is Sunluvr and I am a Jamaicaphile.....IRIEMON!
 ~My Webshots Travel Pics~
 ~My Imagestation Travel Pics~
 Sandals Ocho Rios 00/01/03/05/06
 Beaches Varadero Oct.'02
 Sandals Royal Hicacos May '03
 Club Villa Covarrubias Jan.'05
 Melia Cayo Santa Maria June '05
 SOL Club Cayo Guillermo April '06

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 09:35:00 AM »
Having flown around 10 times only...and having to listen the the saftey portion of the flight every time..and knowing what I am supopose to do..I was just hopping that they would have known what to do as well..   ;)  

I just hope that Sky Services learns a thing or two out of this..

Bulldog   :s:

Offline flopnfly

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve_YYZ:
  Well folks, please don't shoot the messenger for saying this.

Steve
:D

Steve you make some valid points in your post.

It is everyone's responsibility to take care of themselves.  But ultimately it is the pilot’s responsibility to land the plane safely.  It is the flight crew’s responsibility to jump into action in an emergency situation.  That is what they are trained to do.  

The first rule of any emergency situation is for someone to take charge and try to calm everyone down.  
 People tend to panic in these situations, mainly because of the unknown.  

Somebody needs to step up to the plate and take charge.  Make an announcement that something has happened but we are dealing with it and please stay seated and remain calm.  It makes all the difference, not everyone is going to calm down but enough will.  

Most people do know what to do in an emergency exit situation, but it doesn’t stop the panic feeling that comes over you.  This is where the flight crew needs to do their job.  Give a sense of reassurance and then get everyone off the plane as quickly as possible.  

We don’t know what happened in this situation so we are really only generalizing.  But from what I’ve heard so far, the flight crew didn’t do their job.  They left the passengers to fend for themselves and with no explanation.

The pilot didn’t do his job; he didn’t safely land the plane.  I’ve heard rumors that the pilot landing the plane was in training, and he came in too fast, over reacted and dipped the nose too far?  This is only rumor, and I’m not a pilot so I really can’t comment on whether there was something he could have done differently or not.  I’m just happy that this was a “minor” incident and nobody was really hurt.  Especially our Bulldog.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 03:03:00 PM »
HEATHER where did you here this
  "The pilot didn’t do his job; he didn’t safely land the plane. I’ve heard rumors that the pilot landing the plane was in training, and he came in too fast, over reacted and dipped the nose too far?"

There was a list made in the Aiport from many Passengers of the flight to keep in touch..and the two that started the list HAvE conections at Global news..they have bben the ones talking to Skyservices..and THIS voucher that the are suppose to send out...we are told not to sign anything..and to consider talking to a lawyer..I guess there is blood in the water now...

Whatever happens..if I get an explanation and a apology...I will be happy..and if there is $$$ too..I won't turn it down..

The more I think about the situation ( being that I am safe now) the more angry I get about how it was and is being handled. And if that rumor is true....WOW WOW let the Lawyers work it out..!!   :D

Offline flopnfly

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 03:30:00 PM »
Bulldog, like I said what I heard was just rumour, it has not been confirmed.

There have been previous accidents like this before, not necessarily with Skyservice.

Read this:

Flight Standards Information Bulletin

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »
OKAY Heather..who is your deepthroat..?

Bulldog   :D

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »
Here is a link to the News from the other day about this flight..

SKYSERVICE REPORT

Bulldog..  :s:

Offline gromstrela999

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 09:12:00 PM »
http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/fsat/fsat9506.txt

I guess the pilot never studied the above directive.  :duh:

Offline Bulldog

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »
Hi gromstrela999