News:

• April 15, 2024, 11:55:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: HI Sunspree Mo Bay  (Read 31209 times)

Offline That Woman

• Locker Talker
  • A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a f
HI Sunspree Mo Bay
« on: November 24, 2006, 11:46:00 PM »
I was looking at pics for HI Mo Bay tonight, and it looks like they have totally refurbished.  Nothing looked the same as it was when we were there in 2000.  Has anyone been there recently??? I can get the 3 of us there (if I book now) for about $3000.00, and I am seriously considering it.  Any opinions???
2000 2002 2011 HI Sunspree Mo Bay
2003 Bahia Principe DR
2004 PP & PCV Holguin
2005 PCV & GPT Holguin
2006 PCV Holguin
2006 Iberostar Cozumel
2007 Sol Luna Y Mares Holguin
2008 PCV Holguin
2009 Brisas Del Caribe Varadero
2010 2012Breezes Trelawne

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
Re: HI Sunspree Mo Bay
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
Haven't been there yet, but it was on the short list when we chose Curacao, (the Curacao deal was too good to pass up).  We'll make it there one day.    ;)  

reading any reviews, it's a hit or miss on the beach, some people love it, other say that it's too small.  It is supposed to be a "man made beach" much like the Royal Decameron Montego bay, but the pictures that I've seen look pretty good.  It's about a 5 minute walk down the road to the "hip strip" and Jimmy Buffets Marguaritaville.  It usually pops up on the last minute sell offs too, best we've seen it for is just under $500 + taxes.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline flopnfly

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »
I believe that they refurbished most of the resort in 2004.  

I believe that the pools are still small, and the beach isn't the greatest, manmade I think.  

Bottom line is that it's still a Holiday Inn, but it's Jamaica so how bad can it be?     :D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline spot

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »
We were last there in Feb 2001 --The jerk chicken was great at the hut by the beach.  If your taking kids there is always lots of other kids to play with. If not there's always the adult's only pool.  I would go back there again--good value for the money if your not looking for luxury. Even has the plus of a short ride from the airport.
 Spot
pot
 Rui Tequila Feb/00, Holiday Inn Jamaica Feb/01, Disney World Mar/01, Turks & Caicos Jan/02, Disney Cruise Mar/03, Disney World Apr/04, Breezes Punta Cana Jan/05, Disney Cruise May/06, Breezes Curacao Dec/06

Offline That Woman

• Locker Talker
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 11:32:00 PM »
I must corect myself, we were last at HI Mo Bay in 2002, but looking at the pics, it looks like a totally different resort.  I really like the island they have built.
 The most popular beach when we were there was the man made one, however I spent alot of time on the beach near the dive shop (Eric was ceritifing) and was virtually alone.  No one went to this beach because of the winds off the ocean.
 I would love to go back to this resort...everything was fantastic.
2003 Bahia Principe DR
2004 PP & PCV Holguin
2005 PCV & GPT Holguin
2006 PCV Holguin
2006 Iberostar Cozumel
2008 PCV Holguin

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »
Hi Spot,
 the short ride from the airport is  definitely a plus!    :D  

ahhh, the jerk chicken, brings back memories of the Royal Decameron Runaway Bay, they had a little grill at the end of the beach, with the most amazing Jerk chicken, I think we had most of our meals there.    :D

Offline Charmainiac

• Max Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by johnnycastaway:
  It is supposed to be a "man made beach" much like the Royal Decameron Montego bay, but the pictures that I've seen look pretty good.  It's about a 5 minute walk down the road to the "hip strip" and Jimmy Buffets Marguaritaville.  It usually pops up on the last minute sell offs too, best we've seen it for is just under $500 + taxes.
Johnny, I have to help here, although I've never stayed there. The HI Sunspree is DEFINITELY not a 5 minute walk to the "hip strip". It's out near Rose Hall and will require a taxi to get from one to the other (approximately $10 - 15 US one way). I know because I wanted to stay there and because we drove by it at least twice daily as we came & went from Zephie's daughter's place.
 Having said that, the Royal Decameron is practically ON the "hip strip" by comparison!
 And Lauren, I completely agree with Johnny on sell-off's. I've the HISunspree for less than $500. as well!
 The price you're currently looking at is about the average for between "highest" & "the best deal I've ever seen"!
 Good luck - I hope you find a great deal!

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
oops, my bad.     :D

Offline flopnfly

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
Lauren,

What are the rooms like at Holiday Inn?

Are they big enough for a family of 4 to sleep comfortably?

My daughter is interested in this for January but they don't want a typical Holiday Inn type room, they were hoping that it would be tropical?

How would you describe it?

Offline That Woman

• Locker Talker
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
Both times we have been, we've had an ocean view room.  The first time we were there we had a partial ocean, beach view, but also the mountains, and a king size bed.  The second time our room overlooked the pool and ocean, and 2 double beds.  All the rooms are in 3 story buildings with elevators.  It is a family orientated resort with a great kids club that has pizza and ice cream.  The staff (when we were there)were really wonderful with the kids.  I would go back, and I have recommeded it to others.
 The first time we went we didn't have Logan, and the second time we went Logan was 8 months old and didn't go with us.  But I talked to lots of people with kids and they were happy with the resort.
 Hope this helps some.
2003 Bahia Principe DR
2004 PP & PCV Holguin
2005 PCV & GPT Holguin
2006 PCV Holguin
2006 Iberostar Cozumel
2008 PCV Holguin

Offline flopnfly

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
Thanks Lauren,

It sounds like it will be great for the little kids.

Now what about us big kids?  Is there a decent disco or club?  

Julie wants to do kareoke, so she's hoping that it will have it a couple of nights at least.

Oh yeah, what about adjoining rooms?

Offline That Woman

• Locker Talker
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »
Hi Heather,

Sorry I don't know about adjoining rooms.
 There is a disco that is open till 2AM, we only went there once, so I couldn't tell you if it was any good or not.
 When were there they had a karaoke contest every night after the stage show.
 The food was excellent, when we were there, and there is an adult only pool with a swim up bar.
 There was PADI dive shop as well (this is where Eric certified), but I didn't see dive shop listed on the resort info.

Lauren
2003 Bahia Principe DR
2004 PP & PCV Holguin
2005 PCV & GPT Holguin
2006 PCV Holguin
2006 Iberostar Cozumel
2008 PCV Holguin

Offline Gambitt

• High-Tech Redneck!
    • Gambitt Homepage
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »
The dive shop is definately still there!

We have something for everyone!
 Because we’re an all-inclusive resort, we have recreation and activities for everyone. For scuba divers, there’s an on-site PADI 5 star dive facility, as well as non-motorized water sports. Exercise enthusiasts can work out in our fully equipped gym, with stairsteppers, universals, and life cycles.
http://www.montegobayjam.sunspreeresorts.com/home.asp

Hey John,  what about doing our Rescue here?
If at first, you do not succeed; You Obviously did Not use a BIG enough Hammer!!!
If at first, you Do Succeed.. try not to look tooo Astonished!

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »
sounds like a plan to me.    :D

Offline That Woman

• Locker Talker
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »
I am very serioulsy considering booking for Jan 21st. The price right now is 968.00 plus taxes and 668.00+ for Logan.  I'm going to wait a bit and see how low the price goes.
2003 Bahia Principe DR
2004 PP & PCV Holguin
2005 PCV & GPT Holguin
2006 PCV Holguin
2006 Iberostar Cozumel
2008 PCV Holguin