News:

• April 17, 2024, 08:31:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deep sea fishing at Cayo Santa Maria  (Read 25420 times)

Offline phlatlanders

• Max Member
  • ĄSoy jubliado!
Deep sea fishing at Cayo Santa Maria
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
   I have always wanted to go deep sea fishing but never had a partner before. Our 2011 March trip to Melia Cayo Santa Maria with our younger son, his wife and our new grandson provided the opportunity. However, when I went to book a trip I was told by Nolitours that all of the spots were already reserved - damn.  A couple of days later in the week the missus (bless her soul) suggested I try again but this time with someone else. That someone else was Gaviota and lo and behold, they had put on an extra Sunday boat - great!
   So my son and I enjoyed a 4 hour deep sea fishing excurson, actually they troll with hooks about 10-20 feet and don't slow down when you get lucky. Our son caught 2 barracuda and 2 more got away. I managad 1 mackerel. Lots of fun. The adventure cost was about $230 cdn for both of us and included: on time bus transportion, all fishing tackle, beer, soft drinks or water and some light snacks. We only consumed 3 beers between us. I thought it was great value for the $$$.
   Felix was our excellent and informative captain. Before we were underway he wanted to know what we were planning to do with our catch. We are both fish and release types which pleased Felix too. He ran a very clean ship and treated the barracuda, in particular, with caution. Those things have teeth!

We shared the early morning bus with 6 fellows from Quebec. They took the 8 hour trip and their luck was equal to ours but they seemed to get way too much sun!!  BTW the marina looked to be first class.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:39:36 AM by phlatlanders »
We hope to do more rivercruising - relax and see the sights.

Click to view our 2012 Danube Rivercruise - Budapest to Prague.

Offline Pacific State 808

Re: Deep sea fishing at Cayo Santa Maria
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:52:59 AM »
Great pictures Phlatlanders, the fish you have caught looks like a 'Cero', part of the Mackerel family.

Nothing better than being out in the open ocean !