News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:35:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Milli

• Max Member
Help!
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:31:08 PM »
I am on our old computer.  I pressed a link on a search on our newer computer and now I have a red screen that says My Privacy is in Danger.  There are three new icons on my desktop that look like they are a part of a program--ie  error dectection, spyware protection and another.  I cannot access "my computer" and I cannot access internet exp or firefox.  I did a scan with ESET .  It took 44 min and found nothing.  I have shut down and restarted my computer and I get this same red screen.  Any suggestions?? :confused2:

Also I cannot shut down the program pressing ALT DELETE as a screen pops up and says that the administrator has shut down that function
Melia Las Americas  '05,'12,'12
Iberostar Varadero '06
Paradisius Rio de Oro '06
Sandals Royal Hicacos '07
Playa Pesquero '07 '11
R. Hideaway Ensenachos'08
GBP Ambar '08 '09
GBP El Portillo '10 
GBP Cayo Leventado'10

Offline flopnfly

• Administrator
    • Facebook
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »
Milli, it sounds like you've got a virus that is trying to take over your computer.

I'm sure that one of the John's will know and Gambitt will too.  Somebody should be online soon to help you.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:48 PM »
Hi Milli,
I dealt with this one a couple of weeks back.  The only way to get rid of it is to do a rebuild.  Sorry, but it's very nasty and hooks itself into everything, so there's no real way to eradicate it completely out of your system.  If you have another user account on the computer, use it to log in and copy off any data that you need, other than that, wipe your comptuer clean and reload windows.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Milli

• Max Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:20:51 PM »
 Thanks again J C.  I am at the library.  This will be a nice welcome home for DH :roleyes:

Question:  we run a second compter at home but I have to be on the internet on the primary one (infected) to have access.  I don't believe we have another user account so it is not safe to turn on my infected computer?  Is that correct?

I have both Windows Explorer  and Firefox on the infected compter and I definitely cannot use Explorer but Firefox was fine last night. (haven't turned it on since).

I guess my chief concerns right now are:  will I lose some pictures that I had not yet copied onto disc and can whatever this is access things like banking,etc?
Melia Las Americas  '05,'12,'12
Iberostar Varadero '06
Paradisius Rio de Oro '06
Sandals Royal Hicacos '07
Playa Pesquero '07 '11
R. Hideaway Ensenachos'08
GBP Ambar '08 '09
GBP El Portillo '10 
GBP Cayo Leventado'10

Offline JohnnyCastaway

• Administrator
  • BAD ROBOT!!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:55:27 AM »
there usually is some sort of administrator account, but you will have to know if there's a password created for it, try it, with a  blank password.

if not, you can try logging into that computer with the old account, and create a new account.  DO NOT ACCESS any banks or sensitive information from that computer.  The general rule is that if you get infected by a virus, you should change your banking passwords as soon as you can, just to be sure.  sometimes they use password stealing software so better be safe than sorry.

if you have an external USB drive you can plug that in to the infected computer and offload pictures and any other files that you want to preserve.  If you don't have one, check out Best buy and future shop, they have them for some great pricing now, (500 Gb for about $170 or so).  You should use these as a backup device, and not storage.